On Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 7:28:02 AM UTC-5, Alan Grayson wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 4:53:04 AM UTC-6, Philip Thrift wrote:
>>

>> On Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 5:33:25 AM UTC-5, Alan Grayson wrote:

>>> *How do you distinguish stochastic probability from quantum probability?
>>> AG *

>> There is quantum probability, which is advertised to come from quantum
>> chip random number generators
>>

>> https://www.idquantique.com/random-number-generation/products/quantis-random-number-generator/
>>
>> (to be concrete about it), where the claim is that the series of 0s and
>> 1s one gets from then is true randomness (coming from a quantum source).
>>

> *This is an operational definition of creating a (quantum) random series
> of 0s and 1s. But I think there's a theoretically distinction between
> quantum randomness and the (classical) stochastic random process, and it
> involves the concept of interference. AG *
>

>> Now in Sean Carroll's MW presentation, the computer with one of those
>> boards in it would duplicate and there would be a 0 branch and a 1 branch
>> with each 0 or 1 generated.
>>
>> So at the end of seeing 01001110 on your screen, there would be 2^8
>> computers (and yous) in that many worlds.
>>
>> "Stochastic" (Greek word origin) is just another (cooler, some think) for
>> "random". In a probability theory track at university: random processes,
>> stochastic processes, same damn things.
>>

>> Assuming there is just one world, there is just one computer at the end
>> of seeing 01001110 and no other computers in other worlds.
>>
>> @philipthrift

Stochastic processes and stochastic deferential equations (SDEs) can ne
applied to phenomena whether they are truly random or nor.  SDEs are
applied in finance, for example,

But Sean is talking about quantum randomness.

Of course quantum stochastic processes have a different probability
definition:

https://www.encyclopediaofmath.org/index.php/Quantum_stochastic_processes

classical: probabilities of disjoint events add
quantum: amplitudes of disjoint events add, the amplitude of an event being
a complex number whose square is the probability of the event.

@philipthrift