On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 7:04:08 AM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 9:43 AM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > *how did the extra matter come from?*
>

> Unlike the second law of thermodynamics which is based on logic and
> observation the first law is based on observation alone, every time we test
> it in a lab it seems to work, but it has never been tested at the very
> largest scale, that of the cosmos. To answer your question the extra matter
> comes from absolutely nothing and thus its true, Many Worlds violates the
> law of conservation of mass/energy. But Many Worlds is not unique in that
> regard; *ALL* modern cosmological theories violate the conservation of
> mass/energy, they MUST. Noether's Theorem says if things generally look
> about the same from one time period to another then matter/energy is
> conserved, but in our expanding accelerating universe things do *NOT*
> look the same from one eon to another so energy can't be completely
> conserved. Mass/energy is only approximately conserved and to the same
> extent that at the largest scale the universe looks approximately the same
> from one minute to the next.
>
> And Einstein told us in the early 1920s that if empty space contains a
> residual vacuum energy in the form of negative pressure (see below) it
> would cause the universe to expand, that is to say more empty space would
> be created which would contain more vacuum energy which would create more
> empty space etc. If vacuum energy exists and has a value of 10^-10 joules
> per cubic metre it would explain why our universe is expanding, One joule
> is only enough energy to light up a one watt lightbulb for one second so
> that's a very low energy density, but there is a lot of empty space and it
> would be enough to get the job done.
>
> Note: The  vacuum energy density is constant because there is nothing
> around that would cause it to change. And the pressure is negative because
> if you had a cylinder of vacuum in your lab and you pulled out a piston
> containing it that would create more vacuum and thus more resulting vacuum
> energy would be created, and that energy must have come from the cylinder.
> So if the vacuum wants to pull the piston in your lab back into the
> cylinder then the pressure must be negative.
>
>  John K Clark

The mechanism of cosmological inflation making new matter is another
question:

http://nautil.us/issue/48/chaos/the-inflated-debate-over-cosmic-inflation

... In [Hawking's] view, in light of quantum mechanics, it doesn’t make
sense to talk about the origin and evolution of the universe as if it
followed a single unique trajectory. Instead, he argues, we ought to use
the universe as we observe it *right now*—coupled with the assumption that
it arose from nothing—and take a quantum superposition of every possible
history that could have led from nothing to now. It’s not that we don’t
know which history really occurred—it’s that they *all* occurred. Rather
than a multiverse with a single history, you have a single universe with
multiple histories. When Hawking takes the sum of these histories to
determine the most probable path, it is—voila!—a history in which the early
universe went through inflation. Inflation pops out on its own, from a
theory that doesn’t involve a multiverse.

Many roads, it seems, lead back to inflation and inflation in turn leads to
unexpected places. Steinhardt, Ijjas and Loeb are standing by their
criticisms of the theory, and have made a website
<http://physics.princeton.edu/~cosmo/sciam/> to reiterate them. But the 33
leading physicists who signed the letter—and countless others—are more
confident in inflation than ever, exploring its strange territory,
optimistic that it will eventually lead them to its own replacement: a more
complete theory of the universe’s origin. That, certainly, *is* science.
And it is pretty spectacular.

My question was about the mechanism of quantum many worlds generating new
matter: every time a single particle is involved in a double-slit
experiment the entire universe multiplies (branches)

*Single Photon Interference*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzbKb59my3U

What happens when single photons of light pass through a double slit and
are detected by a photomultiplier tube? In 1801 Thomas Young seemed to
settle a long-running debate about the nature of light with his double slit
experiment. He demonstrated that light passing through two slits creates
patterns like water waves, with the implication that it must be a wave
phenomenon. However, experimental results in the early 1900s found that
light energy is not smoothly distributed as in a classical wave, rather it
comes in discrete packets, called quanta and later photons. These are
indivisible particles of light. So what would happen if individual photons
passed through a double slit? Would they make a pattern like waves or like
particles?

@philipthrift