From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Mon, Oct 7, 2019 6:42 pm
Subject: Re: The multiverse is dangerous to science

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 3:12 PM spudboy100 via Everything List
<everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> So, PH, I believe, that Frank Tipler the Omega Point dude, agrees with you on
> this one issue. He seems to be a stickler for everything in physics to be
> neat and tidy and conformal. This, of course, will cause you and the rest
> here, to convulse with nausea on this here mailing list. But from what I was
> able to follow on his vid, he agrees with your contention. For me, I follow
> Tipler because I loved his reasoning, and an afterlife even after 10 trillion
> years of dust,

I finished reading Tipler's book "The Physics Of Immortality" on Friday March
15 1996 and liked it and I sent a post about it to the Extropian List that same
day. At the time, nearly 24 years ago, I said the reason I liked his book was
that:
"Tipler's Omega  Point Theory makes a bunch of predictions, practical
predictions that should be able to be tested for in the next 4 or 5 years.
Tipler himself states that every one of these predictions must turn out to be
correct or the entire theory is dead in the water."
Well lets see how his predictions turned out"
"* Tipler predicts that the universe is closed: I think most would say it's
probably open, Tipler says they're wrong. "
It turned out it was Tipler that was wrong and not only was he wrong Tipler was
spectacularly wrong! The expansion of the universe is not reversing, it's not
even slowing down, it is accelerating.
"* Tipler predicts that the Higgs boson must be at 220 +- 20 GeV: If he's
correct then when the CERN Large Hadron Collider goes on line in 1999 it will
find it almost immediately."
The Higgs boson wasn't found until 2012, the delay wasn't Tipler's fault but
his prediction was dead wrong, the mass of the Higgs boson turned out to be
125.3 +- 0.4 GeV
"* Tipler predicts that the Hubble constant must be less than or equal to 45"
Today there is still disagreement over the exact value, some say its 66.9,
another group says its 69.8, and another group says its 74.0, and yet another
group says its 82.4; but nobody thinks its anywhere near 45.
So what is Tipler up to today? Well...back in 2007 the poor man went a little
funny in the head, you know, just a little funny, and he went and did a silly
thing; he wrote another book saying we should look for divine DNA on the Shroud
of Turin and check for radiation around the tomb of the Blessed Virgin Mary
that was caused by an intense beam of neutrinos that must have shot out of the
bottom of her feet thrusting her upward into heaven.
John K Clark
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv275jhcxL_Gubpw%2ByaGS%2BRrLhfo_hPnz1xtk%2B6KerB8Og%40mail.gmail.com.