On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 2:40:33 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

That MWI entails other, unobservable "worlds" is neither a bug or a
> feature, it's just one answer to the measurement problem.  If you have a
> better answer, feel free to state it.
>

> Brent

MWI, according to Sabine Hossenfelder, is not an answer - in the final
analysis - to the measurement problem

http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2019/09/the-trouble-with-many-worlds.html

The many world interpretation, now, supposedly does away with the problem
of the quantum measurement and it does this by just saying there isn’t such
a thing as wavefunction collapse. Instead, many worlds people say, every
time you make a measurement, the universe splits into several parallel
worlds, one for each possible measurement outcome. This universe splitting
is also sometimes called branching.

Some people have a problem with the branching because it’s not clear just
exactly when or where it should take place, but I do not think this is a
serious problem, it’s just a matter of definition. No, the real problem is
that after throwing out the measurement postulate, the many worlds
interpretation needs another assumption, that brings the measurement
problem back.

The reason is this. In the many worlds interpretation, if you set up a
detector for a measurement, then the detector will also split into several
universes. Therefore, if you just ask “what will the detector measure”,
then the answer is “The detector will measure anything that’s possible with
probability 1.”

This, of course, is not what we observe. We observe only one measurement
outcome. The many worlds people explain this as follows. Of course you are
not supposed to calculate the probability for each branch of the detector.
Because when we say detector, we don’t mean all detector branches together.
You should only evaluate the probability relative to the detector in one
specific branch at a time.

That sounds reasonable. Indeed, it is reasonable. It is just as reasonable
as the measurement postulate. In fact, it is logically entirely equivalent
to the measurement postulate. The measurement postulate says: Update
probability at measurement to 100%. The detector definition in many worlds
says: The “Detector” is by definition only the thing in one branch. Now
evaluate probabilities relative to this, which gives you 100% in each
branch. Same thing.

And because it’s the same thing you already know that you cannot derive
this detector definition from the Schrödinger equation. It’s not possible.
What the many worlds people are now trying instead is to derive this
postulate from rational choice theory. But of course that brings back in
macroscopic terms, like actors who make decisions and so on. In other
words, this reference to knowledge is equally in conflict with reductionism
as is the Copenhagen interpretation.

*And that’s why the many worlds interpretation does not solve the
measurement problem* and therefore it is equally troubled as all other
interpretations of quantum mechanics. What’s the trouble with the other
interpretations? We will talk about this some other time. So stay tuned.

@philipthrift