On 10/15/2019 4:10 PM, John Clark wrote:
On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 6:01 PM 'Brent Meeker'  <everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

        >> Oh for christ sake! As I've said over and over, in Many
        Worlds a change, any change, is equivalent to a measurement
        and it doesn't make the slightest difference if that change
        involves consciousness or not. If Brent Meeker flips a coin
        and it comes out heads then obviously that Brent Meeker is not
        living in the world where it came out tails

    > Any change??

Yes any change, and if you don't like it don't complain to me complain to Schrodinger's Equation.

    /> What about the world in which a K40 atom in JKC's blood stream
    decayed compared to one in which it didn't?/

What about it?

Does it produce another world?

    /> What about the one were this N2 molecule bounced left instead
    of right on colliding with that CO2 molecule?
    /

I repeat, what about it?

    /> Well in practice he has to measure them in an orthogonal basis
    in order to erase the welcher weg./

I don't quite see how but apparently you think that will result in there being a difference between the two universes

No, I think (and know from experiments) that the measurement in an orthogonal basis is /necessary/ to have an interference pattern appear.  If you just leave welcher weg information encoded somewhere there won't be interference.   Didn't you read Carroll's example of quantum erasure?

Brent

and thus you predict no interference pattern will be seen when the photographic plate is developed, but David Deutsch thinks bands of interference will be on that plate. I'm not certain who is right but I'd give 2 to 1 odds that it's Deutsch. Well know for sure before 2050, maybe much sooner.

John K Clark

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv0vFWqkLMcrjySEtzU1FmEW-iRrU8zXu-4oW0s-svRFjQ%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv0vFWqkLMcrjySEtzU1FmEW-iRrU8zXu-4oW0s-svRFjQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.