On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 5:37:54 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 26 Oct 2019, at 22:15, Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 4:53:00 PM UTC-6, Philip Thrift wrote:

>>> Can you answer the question assuming the CI? AG
>>>

>> Just translate this into "CI", in whatever terms you like. It gives the
>> same answers, so what difference does it make?
>>
>> *The probability P for an event to occur is given by the square of the
>> complex magnitude of a quantum amplitude for the event, Q. The quantum
>> amplitude Q associated with an event is the sum of the amplitudes
>> associated with every history leading to the event.*
>>
>> [This] specifies how probabilities are to be computed. *This item builds
>> the concept of superposition, and thus the possibility of quantum
>> interference, directly into the formulation.* Specifying that the
>> probability for an event is given as the magnitude-squared of a sum made
>> from complex numbers, allows for negative, positive and intermediate
>> interference effects. This part of the formulation thus builds the
>> description of experiments such as the two-slit experiment directly into
>> the formulation. A history is a sequence of fundamental processes leading
>> to the the event in question.
>>
>> http://muchomas.lassp.cornell.edu/8.04/Lecs/lec_FeynmanDiagrams/node3.html
>>

>> @philipthrift
>>

> Sorry, I really don't get it.
>

> Nobody does, really. Even if the mechanist know the why, the how will
> still delude us for long. Like many said; to understand QM is to understand
> that there is a big metaphysical problem there.
>

> For me "interference" refers to waves which cross each other and add their
> amplitudes, positively and negatively.
>

> OK.
>

> Why, if we give a probability interpretation to the amplitudes, does this
> have anything to do with interference, particularly for a wf for S's cat
> which is entangled with the wf of a radioactive source? AG
>

> Because if we send just one particle, we can predict some place where we
> will with certainty not find the particle, so that we have to take into
> account the wave “associated” to one single particle.

That's what I did; assume a single UNOBSERVED particle acts as a wave and
interferes with itself as two waves emerge from two slits, which will
sometimes result in 100% destructive interference.  But I have to consider
whether this model applies to C60. Not sure of that at this time. AG

Now, EPR Bell, but already Einstein at the Solvay congress in 1927,
> explains why a mechanical/physical association of the particles with the
> wave (like with hidden variable) will not do, without adding FTL actions,
> or introducing super-determinism, or killing Realism in Physics.

Keep in mind that the wave I have been referring to, is a probability wave,
not a physical wave. AG