> [...]
>>> is both alive and dead.
>>>
>>> But the main point is that this time had nothing to do with
>>> Schroedinger's argument (he knew perfectly well the time of death was
>>> vague); his argument was that Bohr's interpretation implied that the cat
>>> was in a super-position of alive and dead from the time the box was
>>> closed until someone looked in.
>>>
>>> Brent
>>>
>>> Agreed. Without decoherence, the cat would be in a superposition of
>>> alive and dead from the time the box was closed until someone opened
>>> it. With decoherence, it would be in that superposition for a very short
>>> time, the decoherence time, when it would be in state, |decayed>|dead>
>>> or |undecayed> |alive> before the box was opened, provided it was
>>> opened after the decoherence time. So, as I see it, decoherence just
>>> moves the "collapse" earlier, before the box is opened, and does not
>>> resolve S's problem with superposition.
>>
>> True, but it resolves the problem about whether conscious observers are
>> necessary to "collapse" the wave function (or split the world).
>>
>> I think Feynman answer this question before the advent of decoherence
>> theory. I recall reading his comments that an instrument was sufficient for
>> observing a double slit experiment, and even destroying the interference if
>> rigged to determine which-way. AG
>>
>> The idea of decoherence is that, it not carefully isolated, systems are
>> continuously "monitored" by the environment and so act classically.
>>
>> Here's a good analysis which casts the Schroedinger cat story into a double
>> slit-experiment.
>>
>> https://arxiv.org/pdf/1405.7612.pdf <https://arxiv.org/pdf/1405.7612.pdf>
>>
>>> The cause of the problem, or
>>> paradox if you will, is the superposition interpretation of the radioactive
>>> source. AG
>>
>> Yes, that's the problem.  The radioactive nucleus is effectively isolated
>> until it decays, after which it is not isolated...it has interacted with the
>> detector.  So in the MWI the system is splitting continuously into the
>> branch were the atom hasn't decayed and the branch where is has just decayed
>> and interacted with the environment.  The atom is in a superposition of
>> decayed and not decayed with amplitudes varying in time:   psi =
>> sqrt[exp(-at)]|not decayed> +sqrt[1-expt(-at)]|decayed>  .
>>
>> But isn't this superposition, interpreted to mean the source is in both
>> states simultaneously before measurement, responsible for the paradox of a
>> cat which is alive and dead simultaneously, even if for a very short time if
>> decoherence is considered? If so, isn't this sufficient to question the
>> validity of said interpretation? AG
>>
>> Sean says the decoherence time is 10^(-20) sec. So when the box is closed,
>> the cat is in a superposition of alive and dead during that time interval,
>
> If the box isolates the cat, decoherence of what is in the box will not occur.
>
> The box contains an environment, the air, heat, etc., so even though the box

Decoherence is just entanglement with the environment.

Imagine that the environment ion the cat in the box is just one molecule M (to
simplify). M will “measure” the state of the cat by bouncing up to some
position M-cat-alive (if the cat was alive) and another position  M-cat-dead if
the cat was dead. By SWE, before you open the door, the environment “in the
box” + the cat is described by the superposition

   (cat-alive)(molecule at M-cat-alive) + (cat dead)(molecule at M-cat-dead)

which is still a superposition.

The same with 10^20 molecules, heat, etc.

When you open the box, you will just get the state

(I see the cat alive)(cat alive)(molecules in the corresponding position) + (I
see the cat dead)(cat dead)(molecules in the other corresponding position).

As you cannot track the behaviour of all molecules, you are unable to extract
interference pattern from that superposition, and it will look like a mixed
state. But without collapse of the wave, the cat, the molecules and yourself
will remain in the superposition state and this forever, and whatever base is
chosen to describe the wave describing you, the molecules and the cat.

The apparent collapse is only a term of a superposition seen by an observer
described by some factor in that term.

Bruno