> [...]
>>> detector in the experiment.
>>>
>>> Brent
>>>
>>> That's the mystery we have to figure out. What we know, is that the
>>> particles release IR photons which could be observed, and when that
>>> emission occurs, interference disappears. It doesn't even depend on any
>>> observations being made. AG
>>>
>>> I would revise my interpretation this way; the electron, or whatever,
>>> behaves as a wave when no information exists to distinguish which-way, and
>>> that wave goes through both slits producing interference. When such
>>> information exists, even if it isn't used or measured, the interference
>>> ceases to exist. Obviously, there's a huge mystery how the existence of
>>> such information is sufficient to destroy interference, but that's what the
>>> experimental results demonstrate. AG
>>
>> That huge mystery disappears when you apply QM to the particles *and* to the
>> observers and all things they interact with. The interferences are never
>> destroyed,
>>

>> I don't see how this simplifies anything. Sometimes the local observer sees
>> interference; sometimes not depending on whether which-way information
>> exists. How does your model explain this? AG
>
> Take the cat C, assuming it well isolated in its box. The cat is in the state
> 1/sqrt(2) (a + d). Now imagine that the box was not so well isolated, and
> some particle P interact with it. Let us describe the state of the particle,
> in case the cat would ba alive by P_a, and P_d if the cat was dead. As the
> cat is in the state a + d, the new state is:
> 1/sqrt(2) (P_a a + P_d d). OK?
>
> If I was ware of that particles, I could in principle obtain interference
> pattern from that (pure) superposition. In particular, I could erase the
> “memory” of the interaction of the particle, so that I can factor again P
> from the state above, and get back the interference available from a + d.
>
> But if I cannot track that particle, I am unable to do that, and the
> interaction with the particle has destroyed my mean to get back to the a + d
> state, and I am confronted with what I will take as a mixed state. It looks
> like a collapse, but it is only because the superposition of the cat has
> leaked to the environment in a way making impossible for me to get back to
> the a + d state.
>
> So, there is no collapse, but the fact that the superposition has leaked in
> the environment, without me knowing any details on this, makes the state of
> the cat equivalent to a mixture of a and d state. FAPP, the cat is either
> dead or alive after that unknown and untrackable information.
>
> We see that a measurement is only an entanglement, and we don’t need a
> collapse postulate to explain why even an “unknown measurement made by some
> cosmic particle” prevents me to keep the superposition of the cat available
> to me.
>
> Bruno
>
> Forget about collapse or no collapse; forget about cats.

I cannot really do this when confronted with a superposition. To get the
observed mixed state from the SWE only, I need to consider the superposition of
myself, even if I observe only an electron.

> The fact is that with electrons or whatever, sometimes we see interference
> patterns, and sometime not. In the latter case it occurs when which-way
> information exists, and it doesn't matter if we use or observe that data by
> instruments or by human observers.

Exactly, that is the main reason to choose “MW” instead of a collapse.

> I don't see how your previous message remotely offers an explanation. AG

Well, in once case we can factor me on the a + d, or up + down state, but once
a particle that I am unaware of has interact with the object (micro or macro)
described by a + d, or up + down, I can no more factorise the wave, and I can
see only a mixed state. Reread my last post with this in mind, it is very basic
quantum mechanics (without collapse).

Bruno