On 11/19/2019 1:43 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 12:27:21 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

    On 11/19/2019 12:30 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:

    On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 6:50:38 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

        On 11/18/2019 4:33 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

        On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 3:48:35 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

            In using path integrals you arrive a probabilities for
            various possible outcomes.  But that's not the end of
            the science.  You also observe/measure/experience some
            particular outcome.  And then you compute future path
            integrals starting from the observed state...using the
            observed state implies you went from a state of
            uncertainty expressed by probabilities to a state of
            certainty regarding the new state....aka using knowledge.

            Brent

        *Knowledge* is something having to do with human brains
        ("knowing"), and when they became the "engines" of speaking
        and writing, then *knowledge* could be communicated between
        intelligent beings. (Perhaps other primates too are
        *knowledge*-able, but that's debatable.)

        Now it seems to me that in the first few billion years at
        least of the universe (after the Big Bang) there were no
        knowledge-able beings, There hadn't been time for them to
        evolve anywhere.

        But during that time quantum processes (and chemical, and at
        least somewhere at some point biological precesses) were
        going along fine without any knowledge-able beings exiting,
        and thus there was no knowledge changing" -- because there
        was no knowledge during that time.

        So how is knowledge needed as a concept in any way in QM
        when QM processes were occurring in the universe fine before
        knowledge existed?

        Whoever put "knowledge: in QM screwed up.

        You're dodging the question like you're running for office on
        the know-nothing ticket.

        I've already asked all the way I can think of what it is that
        causes you to change your estimate of the future evolution of
        a quantum system when you measure it.  I've concluded you
        have no knowledge of this process.

        Brent

    You are dodging the question:

    W/as there any knowledge to be changed (or updated) - or  my
    "knowledge of this process" - or "my estimate of the future
    evolution of a quantum process" - anywhere in he universe 10
    billion years ago?/

    Your knowledge of processes 10 billion years ago is based on
    measurements done in telescopes and laboratories today and
    inferences from them.

    Knowledge (changing/updating knowledge) in any way whatsoever is
    *completely irrelevant* to anything in quantum mechanics.

    Forget "knowledge".  I'm not arguing about semantics.  I'm asking
    what changes when there is a measurement of a quantum system?

    Brent

The reality of processes 10 billion years ago are not dependent on any being ever measuring them and having their knowledge updated.

 A diffraction pattern emerges in video recordings of single-photon double-slit experiments whether anyone sees the video or not. what changes is the image on the video frame-by-frame. If you take a video of a an arrow shot from a bow, it follows a parabolic curve, and what changes is its position frame-by-frame.

So when your path integral formulation predicts various probabilities for position of photon absorptions by the video camera nothing has changed when positions are actualized in the recording. All the same probabilities obtain.  Which is the MWI view.