> On 6 Dec 2019, at 00:53, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On 12/5/2019 9:05 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>>> On 5 Dec 2019, at 02:12, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 10:44 AM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
>>> <everything-list@googlegroups.com
>>> <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow, I didn't expect it to be so easy.  I have a dog.   If my dog died I'd
>>> get another dog.  My dog didn't die today.  The counterfact then is that my
>>> dog did die today.  So responding the counterfact I get another dog.  The
>>> same thing eventuates tomorrow.  Soon my neighbors report me to the
>>> authorites and when I explain this to the judge he mandates psychiatric
>>> care.
>>>
>>> Hence Mechanism is false.
>>>
>>> I think the point Bruno is making is that consciousness requires
>>> "counterfactual correctness”,
>>

>> Not just “consciousness”, also the simpler notion of computation requires or
>> even define a notion of counterfactual correctness. It is not much more than
>> a semantic for the “if A then B else C”.
>>

>>> by which he appears to mean that consciousness must be such that if the
>>> inputs are changed (counterfactually), then the output must also change.
>>
>> … must also change (counterfactually). OK.
>>

>>> This hypothesis -- that consciousness requires this "counterfactuall
>>> correctness" -- was introduced ad hoc in order to protect the movie graph
>>> argument. If we take the sequence of states through which a computation
>>> proceeds to give a particular conscious experience and reproduce exactly
>>> those states on a film or something similar, then running through those
>>> states will reproduce the same conscious experience. They want to avoid
>>> this conclusion, so they impose the restriction that the sequence of state
>>> must be "counterfactually correct", i.e., it must respond differently to
>>> different input -- which the movie graph, being fixed, clearly cannot.
>>
>> Who they? Not me, and Maudlin makes that move to get a reductio ad absurdum
>> of having both mechanism and materialism. Then at the end he choses
>> materialism, where I keep Mechanism, but both Maudlin and me showed that
>> indeed it is absurd to believe in both mechanism and the idea that
>> consciousness is related exclusively to some material events.
>>

>>> That this ad hoc manoeuvre does not prove anything about consciousness was
>>> shown by Maudlin in his "Olympia" argument.
>>
>> That is weird. Maudlin, and men  did prove something about consciousness,
>> mechanism and materialism.
>>
>> We show that materialism -> non mechanism, or equivalently that mechanism ->
>> non materialism. You can’t have them both.
>
> But it assumes that computation exists in the abstract…

Abstract, may be for an Aristotelian who believe in a “concrete” physical
reality.

Personally, only the natural numbers are concrete object to me, and
computations are rather very concrete too, as they are as singular as the
natural number, well defined, etc.

2 is concrete. 2 apples is far more abstract. We are not aware of this because
we use quasi unconsciously highly sophisticated measuring apparatus (eyes, the
nose, …) and a very sophisticated computer (the nervous system, billions of
neurons, etc.) to analyse quickly the observation, and to eat the apple, making
us feeling that it is concrete, when it is actually very abstract, and even
more so if we accept the current description of what could be an apple (a
partial trace of a quantum wave in an Hilbert space?).

> simply because there's a thing we invented called the existential quantifier.

Prime numbers and computations existed in the arithmetical reality in a way
which does not depend of time, space, or humans for that matter. And we don’t
need to make existence into a notion of metaphysical existence. Computations
exists like a solution to the equation x + 1 = 3 exists.

> It's as weak as St Anslem's ontological proof; which tellingly Goedel thought
> he could make sound.

This has nothing to do with the existence of computation, which you can prove
from Peano arithmetic once you accept the Church-Turing definition. That is not
the case, neither for Gödel’s God, nor for any notion of ontological physical
universe, which requires some faith. The only faith required for mechanism is
the faith into surviving a special medical operation.

Bruno