> On 3 Dec 2019, at 09:51, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Monday, December 2, 2019 at 10:21:53 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
>

>  The reason is that many different
> quasi-classical brain states will be consistent with that thought...not
> only different quantum superpositions.
>

> Brent
>

> Doesn't Penrose think that there cannot be thoughts (no such things as real
> non-zombie thoughts like we experience in our brains) without quantum
> mechanical stuff going on? :)

Penrose assumes explicitly the negation of Mechanism (and implicitly the
existence of a primary physical universe).
He argues against Mechanism by using a notoriously invalid argument based on a
misunderstanding of Gödel theorem.
In his second book, Penrose corrected his use of Gödel (going from the invalid
"Gödel’s incompleteness shows that we are not machine", to the valid (and “well
known”) Gödel’s incompleteness shows that we cannot know which machine we could
be, assuming we (our body) are machines (which provides the technic to define
the first person using incompleteness). Emil Post foresaw all this already in
the 1920s.

Penrose has unfortunately enlarged the gap between logicians and physicists.

Bruno