On Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 1:23:52 AM UTC-7 Pierz wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 2:18 pm, Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 6:16:25 PM UTC-7 Pierz wrote:

>>> Bruce thinks that MWI violates Born’s rule and generally hates MWI. I
>>> don’t think his argument about the Born rule holds water, though it’s a
>>> well-known one. David Deutsch’s chapter on MWI in The Beginning of Infinity
>>> presents a refutation of that argument that I personally find convincing.
>>> But Bruce does at least understand MWI. I’m sure that while he shares your
>>> disdain for it, he would not accept that your specific argument against is
>>> valid. All you are doing is asserting that the other observers are
>>> imaginary, which is not a valid form of argument.
>>>
>>> Each AG’s past at a particular trial is the same as all the other AGs at

>>> A hypothesis by definition has no experimental verification - yet! The
>>> same objection could have been made against General Relativity in 1915. But
>>> I’m not trying to convince you of MWI. Only that your argument about it not
>>> giving rise to probabilities is not valid. You can’t assume the hypothesis
>>> isn’t valid in your argument against it. You have to show how it’s
>>> logically inconsistent.
>>>

>> *Your comparison with GR is plainly deficient if not silly. GR was
>> published in Nov 1915, and with it was a postulated empirical test which
>> the theory passed in 1920 (the bending of starlight as it passes the Sun).
>> By comparison, the MWI was published around 1957, and now, after about 63
>> years, there's no proposal for a test of its validity.  As for the
>> observers being imaginary, I contend they remain in that status until they
>> are experimentally detected. Have you seen one? As for Bruce's position, I
>> don't know his perspective on my argument, nor do I particularly care. But
>> I am pretty sure he would not agree on the absolute thematical reliance on
>> mathematics as support for the Interpretation. After all, he put forth the
>> horse racing model to cast grave doubt on the MWI. AG*
>>

> If your argument is that MWI is wrong because it hasn’t been “proved” yet
> (or supported by empirical test) you’re welcome to hold that position and I
> won’t argue with you. My point relates to the internal logic of your
> argument. You’re saying the other observers are imaginary and then using
> that to build a case against MWI giving rise to probabilities. That’s
> illogical. If you want to argue against the internal logic of MWI, you have
> to start by accepting what it proposes then proceeding to demonstrate how
> that leads to internal inconsistency. However I can see the futility of
> trying to hold you to the finer points of logic so I will bow out at this
> point - as I note many here have before me.

*If you don't like my characterization of those other worlds as
"imaginary", then you should certainly accept their status as
"speculative", as well as the idea that these other worlds interact with
each other. It's not that I oppose speculation, but given the lack of any
empirical evidence of such other worlds, seems to be a strong point against
their existence! But for you and others who apply Trumper-type logic to
physics, the lack of empirical evidence, after 63 years, has no
argumentative weight and the postulates remain "consistent". AG  *