> On 9 Mar 2021, at 16:41, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Nothingness is a paradoxical thing. Does nothingness exist? If so, then by
> having existential properties it is not pure nothingness. If nothingness does
> not exist then there must exist something. In a sense God is the antithesis
> of nothingness and in a sense shares the same paradoxical issue.

There are as many notion of “nothing” than there are notion of things. Nothing,
when thinking of numbers, can be played by the number 0 (not to confuse with a
set containing 0).
In set theory, nothing is given by the empty set. Note that the unary
intersection (the intersection of the elements of a set), when applied to the
empty set, gives the class of all sets (something too much big to be a set).

Obviously, the quantum nothingness might be well played by the quantum vacuum;
which we know to be full of things and happenings.

Some might try a notion of absolute nothingness, but I have no idea what that
could be.

The empty theory has all possible models, and so is trivially satisfied in all
models, and is thus not interesting. Adding axioms can lead to genuine theory
of everything, but it can be shown that adding more axioms than the one
required to have a universal machinery leads to contradiction, unless they are
particular axioms to described local phenomenologies.

Using arithmetic for the universal base, we have a clear notion of existence,
as most people agree on the “standard model of Arithmetic (the set {0, 1, 2, …}
+ the usual laws learned in school. Then the physical existence and the
psychological, and theological existence are provided in the internal
phenomenologies imposed by incompleteness (to any arithmetically sound
machines). That is testable, and the discovery of the “many-histories” in
quantum physics confirmed the “many-world/histories interpretation of
arithmetic on which all universal machine converge, soon or later (in the
universal dovetailer “number-of-step”).

Bruno