Information is the key. Conscious agents are defined by precisely that information that specifies the content of their consciousness. This means that a conscious agent can never be precisely located in some physical object, because the information that describes the conscious experience will always be less detailed than the information present in the exact physical description of an object such a brain. There are always going to be a very large self localization ambiguity due to the large number of different possible brain states that would generate exactly the same conscious experience. So, given whatever conscious experience the agent has, the agent could be in a very large number of physically distinct states.

The simpler the brain and the algorithm implemented by the brain, the larger this self-localization ambiguity becomes because smaller algorithms contain less detailed information. Our conscious experiences localizes us very precisely on an Earth-like planet in a solar system that is very similar to the one we think we live in. But the fly walking on the wall of the room I'm in right now may have some conscious experience that is exactly identical to that of another fly walking on the wall of another house in another country 600 years ago or on some rock in a cave 35 million year ago.

The conscious experience of the fly I see on the all is therefore not located in the particular fly I'm observing. This is i.m.o. the key thing you get from identifying consciousness with information, it makes the multiverse an essential ingredient of consciousness. This resolves paradoxes you get in thought experiments where you consider simulating a brain in a virtual world and then argue that since the simulation is deterministic, you could replace the actual computer doing the computations by a device playing a recording of the physical brain states. This argument breaks down if you take into account the self-localization ambiguity and consider that this multiverse aspect is an essential part of consciousness due to counterfactuals necessary to define the algorithm being realized, which is impossible in a deterministic single-world setting.

Saibal