On 6/19/2021 4:12 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

        /> For example, wee could rule out many theories and narrow
        down on those that accept "organizational invariance" as
        Chalmers defines it. This is the principle that if one entity
        is consciousness, and another entity is organizationally and
        functionally equivalent, preserving all the parts and
        relationships among its parts, then that second entity must be
        equivalently conscious to the first./

    Personally I think that principle sounds pretty reasonable, but I
    can't prove it's true and never will be able to.

Chalmers presents a proof of this in the form of a reductio ad absurdum.

But that's not very helpful since it leaves open that many other systems that are not functionally and organizationally equivalent may also be conscious.  Computers are not functionally and organizationally equivalent to people.  In fact I can't think of anything that is.