On 7/11/2021 9:53 AM, smitra wrote:
On 11-07-2021 02:41, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List wrote:
On 7/10/2021 5:35 PM, smitra wrote:
On 11-07-2021 01:05, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 1:18 AM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:

On 10-07-2021 07:58, Bruce Kellett wrote:

Neither of your analyses actually explain the observed behaviour.

It does so, otherwise the experiment would have proven that QM is
invalid.

So, in your opinion, the quantum mechanical analysis given in the
paper is wrong.

It is correct, it's just that your conclusion about the MWI based on that paper is incorrect. Escaping infrared photons and the decoherence this causes are totally irrelevant. Whether or not an interference pattern can be detected is not relevant to the question of whether or not a superposition exists when we know that it exist and it has no decohered. It's just that you then can't reproduce one particular line of evidence for the validity of quantum mechanics in that particular experiment.

If I prepare the state of a particle in a  superposition and let this interact in a certain way, then we know how this state will evolve. If this evolution involves interactions with many particles, then the system will decohere. Then it may be true that we cannot distinguish the state of the system from being in a pure or mixed state in practice due to not being able to conduct an interference experiment involving a very large number of particles, but quantum mechanics still tells us that  the superposition exists and that if we were to conduct the right sort of interference experiment, we would see an interference that would prove that the state is not a mixed state.

But does it exist if part of the information has crossed the Hubble
boundary?  Then there is no experiment, even in principle, that would
prove the state is not a mixed one.

The theories that tell you that there is such a thing like a Hubble boundary, also tell you that information does not vanish. We can now detect photons from galaxies that have always receded from us faster than light.

?? I think that's a contradiction.

So, that's information we're that has leaked away from those galaxies that does objectively exists. To prove that a state is a pure state one can just point to the way the state was prepared and invoke quantum mechanics. It's not necessary to demonstrate interference to prove that quantum mechanics is still valid.

So, then you agree with Bruce that so long as the which-way information exists in those outgoing photons, the interference pattern will show up?

Brent

Saibal