On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 2:26 AM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

*> I don't recall you ever quoting John Bell. You cite secondary sources,
> but they often have their own agendas.*

Everybody has an agenda, including John Bell. Bell was not a big fan of
Many Worlds but I agree with him on one thing, he had an enormous contempt
for Superdeterminism, even greater than his dislike for Many Worlds.  This
is what Bell had to say about it in 1985:

"*There is a way to escape the inference of superluminal speeds and spooky
action at a distance. But it involves absolute determinism in the universe,
the complete absence of free will. Suppose the world is
super-deterministic, with not just inanimate nature running on
behind-the-scenes clockwork, but with our behavior, including our belief
that we are free to choose to do one experiment rather than another,
absolutely predetermined, including the "decision" by the experimenter to
carry out one set of measurements rather than another, the difficulty
disappears. There is no need for a faster than light signal to tell
particle A what measurement has been carried out on particle B, because the
universe, including particle A, already "knows" what that measurement, and
its outcome, will be*."

*> Bell's theorem shows that QM cannot have a deterministic completion. *

That's true provided you assume the universe is realistic, that is to say
even if it has not been measured, an electron has one and only one axis of
spin and one and only one direction the spin axis points to. And you *also*
assume Superdeterminism is incorrect because it would be *literally
impossible* to imagine a theory that was a greater violation of Occam's
Razor than Superdeterminism. But some people like Superdeterminism anyway,
which goes to show you that even with scientists emotion can sometimes get
the better of logic and they will go to any lengths, no matter how absurd,
to avoid all those many worlds which they despise so much.

alr