On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 3:35:22 PM UTC+3 agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

So what, in your view, bugged AE about probability in QM? AG

I think I have come to a crisp understanding of this issue, which I want to
submit to you. However, we must take into consideration that the notion of
probability many scientists have these days is very different from the one
implied in Einstein's comment "God doesn't play dice".

Einstein seems to have a good old-fashioned understanding of probability
based on rolling the dice, shuffling the deck, and so on, which has also
been formalised as "Kolmogorov complexity". That is, a shuffling
complicated enough to make it technically impossible to run the needed
calculations in the next 15 seconds, say, in which I am obliged to play my
hand. Of course I trust that no other players in this game can run such
calculations in the prescribed time (I trust with "moral certainty", not
with absolute certainty).

This outlook of probability is incompatible with certain currently popular
views of probability. For one, entropy considerations are irrelevant in
general, unless when they just describe shuffling in other words. So-called
Bayesian priors are also baseless strictly speaking, though they do serve
in a "let us try this" approach.

One more notion to shed is that of propability issuing from ANY theoretical
probabilistic model, for example conventional QM. (Surely, if you are
comfortable with the latter, then Einstein's comment is meaningless!) I
cite an important (I think) philosophical work by Wolfgang Schwarz: "No
Interpretation of Probability" Erkenntnis 83, 1195–1212 (2018),
<https://doi.org/10.1007/s10670-017-9936-9>. He argued that such models do
NOT issue probability; they issue just numbers which the users ACCEPT AS
probabilities -- in whatever interpretation of probability one assumes as
fundamental. This is the key to understanding Einstein's comment.

So, in plain words, Einstein's comment means the following. If the
interpretation of QM treats normalised measures as probabilities, we need
to understand this in terms of our basic notion of probability, that is
shuffling the deck or rolling the dice. So in each measurement someone must
roll dice or something, in order that probability will arise. Since QM does
not allow for such a mechanism, we are left to trusting that probabilities
issued by QM are as good AS IF generated by a randomising mechanism (of a
familiar kind). This "as if" creates a doubt whether the notion of
probability from QM is equivalent to that from shuffling. This is not a
silly question, because it has relevance to decision theory (in particular,
on whether Maximisation of Expected Utility is a rationally justified
method).

George K.