From: smi...@zeelandnet.nl
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Cc: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sun, May 22, 2022 2:59 am
Subject: Re: Self-Replicating Robots and Galactic Domination

John Clark schreef op 19 mei '22:

> On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 11:41 AM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:
>
> *>  AI systems have still insect-level intelligence.*
>
> 10 years ago that might've been true, maybe even five, but not today.

There has been a lot of progress in recent years. The problem with AI is
that we cannot build the right sort of hardware, making the systems we
have rather inefficient. We may now have systems that rival or exceed
insect brain power, but only using very large and computationally
inefficient systems.

>> * > The self-replicating machines will produce whatever chemical
>> wasteproducts they can live with and they will be too dumb to realize
>> that
>> they are killing everything else.*
>
> If an AI decides to kill all biological life it won't be because it's
> stupid,
> and even if they do decide to do that it wouldn't explain why we don't
> see
> an engineered universe when we look at the night sky. Somebody has to
> be
> the first and I think it must be us.

Most living organisms on Earth today are not very intelligent at all.
So, AI systems under development may soon be good enough to build
self-replicating machinery for fully automated factories with. The AI
systems running these factories don't need to be much smarter than
insects. Such factories will outcompete conventional factories, so
within a very short time period, most of our economy will run on such AI
systems.

The fact that many people have the ambition to build AI systems with
human-level intelligence or even more, is also true, but that's not
going to stop the use of insect-level AI systems in fully automated
factories. What may then happen is that we gradually lose control over
the self-replicating systems running the economy. Waste products
produced by the system accumulate, so it becomes like a cancer killing
the entire biosphere.

If this sounds far-fetched, note that the current climate crisis is due
to our economy producing CO2 and our resistance to reduce CO2 emissions.
We find it difficult to reduce CO2 emissions because we need to take
measures that will reduce out wealth to a limited degree (on the short
term). If we have difficulties doing this for such a simple system
(fossil fuels taken from the ground, burned in power plants to generate
power) that can easily be modified without ruining the economy, think
about how difficult it would be for the next generations to intervene in
a system of self-replicating factories that starts to grow a bit out of
control, producing toxic chemicals.

They'll have the choice of adapting to live in a polluted world and
still enjoy their enormous wealth without having to work for it, or go
back to the sort of civilization we live in where you have to work hard
to get a bit more than your basic needs. Given that it took us more than
40 years to finally do something about our CO2 emissions, I don't think
we can be very confident that they'll promptly revert to the old way of
living. A big obstacle being also that just like in case of climate
change, this requires a global consensus. It's no good if China decides
that self-replicating machines are with the pollution they produce and
then refuses to put a stop to using them.

So, I see this as just another phase in the evolution of life where
technological lifeform arise and end up replacing all biological
lifeforms except microbes.

Saibal

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/225b1a4ac581a2b1c7dd7e1c947c7dc1%40zeelandnet.nl.