On 6/13/2022 12:58 PM, John Clark wrote:
On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 2:37 PM Jesse Mazer <laserma...@gmail.com> wrote:

    /> I certainly believe human-like AI is possible in the long term,
    but it would probably require either something like mind uploading
    or else a long-term embodied existence/

I think it will turn out that making an AI as intelligent as a human will be much easier than most people think. I say that because we already know there is an upper limit on how complex a learning algorithm would need to be to make that happen, and it's pretty small. In the entire human genome there are only 3 billion base pairs. There are 4 bases so each base can represent 2 bits, there are 8 bits per byte so that comes out to just 750 meg, and that's enough assembly instructions to make not just a brain and all its wiring but an entire human baby. So the instructions MUST contain wiring instructions such as "/wire a neuron up this way and then repeat that procedure exactly the same way 917 billion times/". And there is a HUGE amount of redundancy in the human genome, so if you used a file compression program like ZIP on that 750 meg you could easily put the entire thing on a CD, not a DVD not a Blu ray just a old fashioned steam powered vanilla CD, and you'd still have plenty of room leftover. And the thing I'm talking about, the seed learning algorithm for intelligence, must be vastly smaller than that, and that's the thing that let Einstein go from knowing precisely nothing in 1879 to becoming the first person in the world to understand General Relativity in 1915.

But he didn't "know precisely nothing in 1879".  He was provided with information from a few hundred million years of evolution.

Brent

John K Clark    See what's on my new list at Extropolis <https://groups.google.com/g/extropolis>
9o7

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv3z2%2B-yNK65%3DHG9aFdjMSS_U9ka-jUb7jTxQG6K_yX-5w%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv3z2%2B-yNK65%3DHG9aFdjMSS_U9ka-jUb7jTxQG6K_yX-5w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.