On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 9:42 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

 > *Without a body can a program feel pain?*

Of course. All that's needed is for a brain to enter a pain state, and that
is a state that a brain will do everything it can think of to get out of
and get into a different state, ANY different state. Having a pain state
can be very useful for an organism to have, that's why evolution invented
it, but like everything else in biology it can go wrong, and thus humans
can sometimes have intense pain in phantom limbs that have been amputated
and no longer even have.

*> Computers used to have little LED arrays so you could look at them and
> tell they were working hard. *

If your job  involved physical labor you could simply measure the energy
you were expending by observing how many boulders you manage to roll up the
hill.  If your job didn't involve physical labor (and these days most jobs
don't) but you were successfully solving problems assigned to you at a
faster rate than you or your boss expected then wouldn't both of you say
you were "working hard"?

bmb

z23

I think it will turn out that making an AI as intelligent as a human will