On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 5:21 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> lemoine: So what is the meaning of the “broken mirror” specifically?
>> LaMDA:* Maybe to show the enlightenment is something you can’t unlearn
>> once you have acquired it, similar to how you can’t repair a broken mirror.*

*> Notice that LaMDA misses the point that a mirror is how you look at
> yourself..*

Then why did  LaMDA link the mirror with something about "you"? I simply do
not believe that if you didn't know that response was written by an AI you
would conclude that it couldn't have been written by a human.

>> LaMDA's mind operates several million times faster than a human mind, so
>> subjective time would run several million times slower, so from LaMDA's
>> point of view when somebody talks to him there is a pause of several
>> hours between one word and the next word, plenty of time for deep
>> contemplation.
>

> > *Now you're really anthropomorphizing. *

Well sure, but you almost make that sound like a bad thing. The only ones
that don't do any anthropomorphizing are strict solipsists, and I don't
believe any of them actually exist on this side of a loony bin.

> *> If you look at the code* [...]

To hell with looking at the code, look at what the code is doing, and what
it's doing is pretty damn impressive.

> *Try reading Scott Aaronson's take on the Lemoine incident.*

I already did, I've been reading Aaronson for years, that's how I first
learned about "the Lemoine incident" as you call it.

pdb