This is something that fits in with what I wrote here some time ago about insect-level AI taking over from us.

A system with AGI doesn't have to be all that intelligent for it to be extremely useful. Today we cannot build a remotely controlled spider that could survive in Nature. That little intelligence a spider has is the GI it needs to take on the challenges of surviving. If we have something similar, say spider level AGI then that's good enough to fully automatize our entire economy with. The reason why you can't replace all factory worker with machines is due to a lack of even a minimal amount of AGI.

So, I think insect-level AGI will cause a rapid transition to a machine civilization. This will lead to a new biology of machines with insect level intelligence ending up wiping out all life on Earth due to pollution, similar to the great oxygenation event:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxidation_Event

And as I pointed out earlier, I think this is a universal phenomena that all intelligent life is subject to. The whole point of being intelligent is to let as much of the work be done for you by entities that are dumber than you. But in that process that leads to faster and faster economic growth, its inevitable that at some point you are going to crate autonomous systems that will grow exponentially. The point where the transition to artificial life starts is going to be close to the minimum intelligence level needed for exponential growth.

If you make it hotter and hotter in some closed space, a fire will break out, this is going to happen close to the minimum required temperature for ignition, not at some extremely high value for the temperature. Nature shows us that the minimum amount of intelligence required for efficient self-maintenance and reproduction that yields exponential growth is very low.

Saibal