From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: spudboy...@aol.com
Cc: everything-list@googlegroups.com <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Mon, Feb 27, 2023 6:18 am
Subject: Re: You were told wrong info if you were told I didn’t feel things

On Sun, Feb 26, 2023 at 7:59 PM <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:

> If it flaps its wings like a butterfly or a bird (ornithopter) then it
> follows life on earth.We have no other model than earth life to model
> consciousness.

We? I have a model of consciousness but I have no direct way of knowing that
anybody else has a model of consciousness or model of anything else for that
matter because the only example of consciousness that I have to work with is
myself.

> You provide no other model, so hence my brain parts mentioning still holds.
> Show us another model of emotion and consciousness.

It's a fact that there are only two possibilities, an iterative chain of "why"
or "how" questions either goes on forever or terminates in a brute fact.  My
idea is that it's a brute fact that consciousness is the way data feels when it
is being processed intelligently. Your idea is that the amygdala causes
consciousness and only that particular wet and squishy thing can do it and a
dry and hard thing never could. I think my idea is better.

> ChatGpt3 is a fun toy. It does great on song writing and parody. It ain't
>human,

That is certainly true.

 > it ain't emotional, or conscious.

Maybe, but then maybe you're not emotional or conscious either and you just
behave as if you were. However in the end it really doesn't matter because
whoever is more intelligent will end up running the show, so from a human point
of view it's not important if AIs are conscious or not, the important thing is
that they're intelligent, if they're not conscious that's their problem not
mine. So human beliefs about the consciousness or unconsciousness of Mr.
Jupiter Brain will have no effect on the future. However it could be important,
at least for humans, whether or not Mr. Jupiter Brain believes that humans are
conscious, if he believes that we are and are not just a complex chain of
chemical reactions he might have some sympathy for us and show us mercy. Can
you think of any way to prove to Mr. Jupiter Brain that you are conscious? I
can't.

Oh and by the way, sometimes as a last resort the amygdala needs to be removed
for medical reasons and the surgical procedure, called Amygdalotomy, produces
lots of unpleasant side effects and significant changes in behavior as you'd
expect when a significant part of a computer is taken offline, however nobody
believes it results in a person without consciousness or emotion.
Amygdalotomy
oml