On Tuesday, September 24, 2024 at 6:50:18 AM UTC-6 John Clark wrote:

On Mon, Sep 23, 2024 at 8:46 AM Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com> wrote:

*>> The observational fact that Bell's Inequality is violated. I find that
spooky, and as Niels Bohr said "anybody who is not shocked by quantum
mechanics does not understand it". *

*> Yes, we agree. It's truly spooky and tends to support Bohr's claim that
measurement causes the properties being measured;*

*Except that Bohr's Copenhagen interpretation couldn't explain exactly, or
even approximately, what a "measurement" is, *

*Seriously; this is nonsense. Hardly anything can be explained "exactly".
More important is the fact that this critique is way overblown IMO. When we
measure an observable, name any observable, don't we know what we're
measuring? The real measurement problem is the collapse of the wf. AG*

*Many Worlds can do that simply by replacing "measurement" with
"entanglement". If Bohr performs the two slit experiment and his
experimental equipment records which slit the electrons went through, then
the equipment becomes entangled with the electrons,*

*Maybe the electrons, all of them, and possibly everything else, wase
entangled long ago, in the early universe when everything was in close
proximity? AG*

*and if Bohr looks at those Instruments he becomes entangled with the
experimental equipment, and thus he detects no interference pattern. But if
the equipment doesn't record which-way information then Bohr will see an
interference pattern.  A measurement by an intelligent entity can cause
entanglement, but so can an infinite number of other things.*

*>> If the entire universe became infinite at the same instant the
transformation from nothingness to somethingness occurred then the universe
wouldn't need to expand at all to remain infinite.*

*> **You're positing an instantaneous transition from Nothing to Infinite
Something.*

*Even an instantaneous transition from nothing to finite something at T=0
already involves infinity, *

*That's like claiming changing a particle at rest to some non-zero value is
an infinite process, since the nothing is rest, and the something is
acceleration. Simpler to assume the entire bubble, which is finite, emerged
from some eternal, timeless, substratum. AG*
 .

*and if you add one infinity to another infinity you still end up with the
same infinity. But for all we know there might not even be a T= 0, maybe
the universe is cyclical, or maybe the big bang was just the start of our
little out-of-the-way corner of the multiverse. Nobody knows, someday we
might know but it won't be because somebody was sitting in a comfortable
chair thinking about philosophy. If you really want to solve the most
profound questions you're going to need to get your hands dirty and perform
some experiments.  *

*>> The universe could be temporally finite but spatially infinite, or
spatially finite but temporally infinite, or both could be infinite, or
neither could be infinite. Nobody knows, not even you.  *

*> Something cannot become infinite through finite processes,*

*Yes.*

*>* *I see time evolving as space evolves,*

*Maybe but that is far from obvious because we already know that time
and space have fundamentally different properties. There is only one
dimension of time but three dimensions of space, and time has a direction
but space does not, and at least in big bang cosmology, time is infinite in
one direction but not in the other.  *

*The existence of time depends on change, so if space expands or changes in
any way, time will continue to flow.  AG *

*> I didn't claim the universe is infinite. I just asserted that IF is, it
had no beginning; that is, it would be UNCREATED.*

*If time is infinite not just in one direction but in both directions then
obviously the universe would have to have been uncreated. And that would be
true regardless of if space is infinite or finite. And you did say "I see
time evolving as space evolves".*

> *Moreover, IF our bubble is finite, which I tend to believe,*

*Everybody believes the observable universe is finite.  *

*Now suddenly you appeal to "belief". I don't appeal to belief. I appeal to
the fact that the visible universe is expanding and I can turn the clock
back, to ANY time in the past, and put a finite sphere around it! You seem
to have an inclination to put me down. Why is that? AG *

*> since it can be enclosed by a sphere of finite radius, I concluded it
can't be flat, since that implies infinite in spatial extent.*

*NO. **The finite observable universe can be contained in a finite sphere
regardless of what the shape of the entire universe is.  *

* > But if we believe the unobservable part came into existence during
Inflation,*

*Long before anybody came up with the idea of cosmological inflation,
everybody believed there must be parts of the universe, perhaps very big
parts perhaps infinitely big parts, that we will never be able to see
because light moves at a finite speed and the big bang happened a finite
number of years ago, and nobody believed that the Earth really was the
center of the universe.  *

*You can appeal to the Cosmological Principle to assert that unobserved
universe is generally the same as the visible part, except for its
recessional velocity > c. Anyway, as I earlier stated, I think the
unobservable part came into existence during Inflation, a finite process,
so it is also finite and the whole bubble is finite. I don't claim I can
prove it. AG *

qqv