On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 07:11, robert slater wrote:

> > On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 04:20, Mikael Wahlberg wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 09:58, Mattias Eriksson wrote:
> Hello All
> Usually you are way way over my head. But this one caught  my eye.
> I would not describe myself as a total newbie but a discussion on whether to
> include vim or vi is counter to the whole reason that evolution is the "non
> geeks" choice.
> The great thing about evolution [I use it, but I am not on my machine] is
> its simplicity for the average user.
> Don't include a "hard to use" geeky option like vi.
> The first time you hit VI as a MS user you think your computers died, hardly
> a confidence builder for the brave WIN ME user who has installed Xiamian!

I think all of this is solved quite easily by the way components work.
Gnome-vim is packaged separately from Evolution.  If Evolution queries Oaf
to see which compatible editor components are installed and only finds one,
it doesn't have to display any configurable options.

If it finds gnome-vim (or something else), then obviously the user or the
user's IT department has installed it explicitly, so it should appear as an
option.

I _do_ think though, that the proper place to choose the editor is the Gnome Control
Center, though, not Evo.

...Jason