On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 05:05, Christopher James Lahey wrote:
> It's a good point that one of the tenets of free software is choice.
> However, anyone who is knowledgeable enough to want to use emacs or vi
> here will be knowledgeable enough to figure out how to change a text
> file somewhere or run a helper app.  If you can find someone who isn't,
> I'd be impressed.

I would say that they would be knowledgeable AND persistent enough to
find the text file to be edited.  But it would still be a pain.  And
someone would still have inform them that it is even a possibility to
make vim the default.  I work with a fair number of programmers who
prefer vi but would never find your customization.

> Yes, but they'll never be able to write an email again.  Especially
> since evolution settings would persist across uninstalling and
> reinstalling evolution.  They may even have to resort to creating a new
> user or uninstalling and reinstalling the whole OS to get it to work
> again.  At the very least, they're going to have to call up their hacker
> friend to fix it.

If you can change the setting on the fly, then there shouldn't be a
problem with having it in the GUI.  A user who is unable to make vi
work after turning it on, will quickly turn something else on.  And
the risk can be further reduced by popping a warning about the perils
changing editors at the time the user changes the setting.

What would be really stupid would be changing the setting to vim and
then having to use vim to change the setting back to gtkhtml  :^)

--
Dick Schoeller
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]