On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 11:23 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > The way most emailers default in the reply edit mode is to position
> > your cursor at the top of the original. The reason this is done
> > is apparently, unaccountably, non-obvious to millions of the
> > NetNewbies of the past several years. The reason it positions that
> > way is to encourage the user to drill down through the original
> > post,
>
> While all this is true,  I agree completely, it is utterly pointless
> point it out.  The vast vast majority of people DO NOT CARE about
> netiquette (or the convenience of subsequent readers).  Thus you are
> wasting bandwidth and every other readers time.  Hashing these things
> with people WHO DO NOT CARE is pointless.

I disagree. I make it a point of noting (politely!) when people
top-post. If no-one ever mentions it, how is the clueless newbie going
to learn? OTOH a long diatribe in answer to every transgression gets old
very fast. The compromise I've settled on is to keep the complaint to
one line and only do it if I was going to reply anyway.

poc