On Sun, 2014-11-02 at 12:04 -0500, Adam Seering wrote:
> Hi all,
>     When I try to search for a string in the full text of a message,
> the search takes a very long time.  I haven't investigated closely,
> but based on how much disk activity I'm seeing, it looks like it's
> trying to open and scan every message in the mailbox in question.
> (Which, for me in some cases, is many GB's.)
>
>     I've poked around on the Internet; I get the impression that
> Evolution is supposed to have (used to have?) some sort of full-text
> indexing for e-mails.  I'm wondering if that's still the case?  If so,
> is there anything obvious I could do to debug why my searches are
> taking so long?

You don't say what sort of mail account it is (or indeed what version of
Evo), but if they are local folders (i.e. for a POP account), then
right-click on the folder select Properties and make sure "Index message
body data" is checked.

For an IMAP account, then I think the searching capabilities depend the
particular IMAP server and how it has indexed the messages.

P.