On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 23:46 +0100, Chris Ramsden via evolution-list
wrote:
> In that text file I can find the text of the missing messages, so I
> can see that they have downloaded fine. But when viewed in evo, just
> the ""Retrieving message “48039”" advice in the message view pane.
> The status bar sticks at "Parsing message".

        Hi,
then it's a very different thing. You can install debuginfo packages
for evolution and evolution-data-server and then grab a backtrace of
the evolution process, to see where it is stuck.

You can get the backtrace with command like this:
   $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" -pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt
Please check the bt.txt for any private information, like passwords,
email address, server addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at
least (quotes for clarity only).

I'd guess you are affected by this one:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/-/issues/75
but it seems you've evolution 3.30.5, which has it included.

Eventually, could you disable the message preview (Ctrl+M), then send
me one of the affected messages as an attachment, thus I can try it
here, please? I've a hard time to find the message in an mbox format.
        Bye,
        Milan