On Fri, 2020-12-04 at 14:01 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-12-04 at 11:42 +0100, Chris Ramsden via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > 1. Does Evolution have any tools or support for downloading public
> > keys etc?
>
>       Hi,
> the Evolution doesn't have any such option, but it also doesn't block
> the key auto-retrieve, unless the application is in the offline mode.
> Thus when you've configured gpg to download keys from some server and
> you are online, gpg can download it.
>
> > 2. How can I get a later version of the binary for Evolution? My
> > Debian-based distro (LMDE) offers only 3.30.5-1.1.
>
> That's the question for your distribution. Maybe you can get it as a
> Flatpak, the version from Flathub.org is fine.
>       Bye,
>       Milan

I looked into the key management tools offered by my distro and found
they were not working well - in fact hanging when trying to import
keys.

I installed gpg2 and gpg-agent and a) key import started working, and
b) the troublesome messages are now all rendered properly in Evolution.

Again, thank you for your time on this.

--
Chris