On Wed, 2001-10-24 at 07:08, Rich Rudnick wrote:

> What metaphor has a piece of paper in two places simultaneously?

hmm.. that would break the theory of relativity.

but, I don't see evolution as broken. View the trash folder as all
messages in all folders that are marked for deletion.

You have two ways of deleting each message: empty trash or expunge the
real folder that the message lives in.

> In real life, I take an object from one location (a folder), and place
> it in another (a trash basket). It cannot exist in both places at once.

but in evo it isn't actually moved to the trash folder.  You mark it for
deletion + the trash folder is just a convenience that allows you to
examine the full set of messages marked for deletion.

> Until I explicitly empty that trash basket I should be able to get that
> object back out of the trash.

if you want evo to behave that way, then simply don't go expunging
messages from you folders.

> But for now, I'll adapt to the software (which is not right) and just
> wait for a configuration option post 1.0 :)

Isn't all you are really after the ability to hide deleted messages from
the real folder?  You can do this from the Actions menu.  It would be
nice if there was a keyboard accelerator attached to this action.

I get the impression I'm missing something here about the way you are
working with evolution.. but I can't figure out what.

John