> Search the list archives.  You'll find two things:
Sorry, I could not find the "Search" feature in the list archives:(

> 1) The Ximian folks use a particular version of db3 for standards
Which standard do you mean? RFC?
> compliance.  If everyone who uses evolution is using the exact same
> version of db3, then addressbooks and the like will always work across
> platforms and whatnot.
OK. But they even do not provide db3-3.1.7 as src.rpm (sorry, I do not
know about i386.rpm) for RH7.2 (which is shipped with 3.2.9).

> 2) The support for that particular version is statically compiled in.
> Once you have rebuilt evolution against it, you can safely remove the
> 3.1.7 installation.
OK. But if I want to build Evo myself... Again, there are reasons why
dynamically-linked libraries are better choice than statically-linked,
aren't there?

> There may be other reasons but the second one alone is why you didn't
> get a response when you posted to Bugzilla.
:)

> That's what I recall anyway.  If I'm wrong, may the Ximian folks correct
> me.
I would love to hear something from them ...

Cheers,

Sergey