On Thu, 2002-01-17 at 18:46, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote:
> > Search the list archives.  You'll find two things:
> Sorry, I could not find the "Search" feature in the list archives:(
>
> > 1) The Ximian folks use a particular version of db3 for standards
> Which standard do you mean? RFC?

actually, what he meant was a standard across all Evolution clients no
matter what platform/version. This way you can copy db files from one
version to another and have it Just Work (tm).

> > compliance.  If everyone who uses evolution is using the exact same
> > version of db3, then addressbooks and the like will always work across
> > platforms and whatnot.
> OK. But they even do not provide db3-3.1.7 as src.rpm (sorry, I do not
> know about i386.rpm) for RH7.2 (which is shipped with 3.2.9).

We do provide evo-db3 i386 packages for all platforms afaik. I'm not
sure about src packages, but I wouldn't be surprised if we did. I think
they are in the snapshot channel in red-carpet, but I could be wrong.
It's been a while since I've looked :-)

> > 2) The support for that particular version is statically compiled in.
> > Once you have rebuilt evolution against it, you can safely remove the
> > 3.1.7 installation.
> OK. But if I want to build Evo myself... Again, there are reasons why
> dynamically-linked libraries are better choice than statically-linked,
> aren't there?

The reason that db3.1.17 gets statically linked with Evolution is so
that your system can be using db3.2.9 or db2 or god knows what else and
not cause problems.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast