Red herring.  English support is built into aspell on Red Hat; there is
no aspell-en package on that platform.  Mandrake (from France) and SuSE
(from Germany) split out an aspell-en package.  I have no aspell-en on
this machine, and I have red squiggles under "aspell" and "SuSE". ;-)

The problem may be in the upgrade from 7.1 to 7.2; perhaps some of the
packages need to be replaced with packages built specifically for 7.2.

-Mark Gordon