From: Fin
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 5:59 AM
To: excel-macros@googlegroups.com
Subject: $$Excel-Macros$$ Re: Test Cell String for Element match and report
Accuracy

Hi Sam, Asa .. thanks for the prompt replies, appreciate it.

I have posted a sample file with 100 rows showing sample content. Column L
(DAY3) is the target data, Column I (D3_ELE_CNT) contains the number of
elements in Column L (DAY3). I have also attached a VBA script file that I
generate from REXX and DB2 daily based upon the close of the market. DB2
generates many various CSV report files that I can then open the CSV in Excel,
paste in the VBA code and run the macros over as necessary, saving the file as
an xls workbook.

I posted the REXX script example just to show how I create the VBA code I use
at the moment for checking the accuracy of a single element in a cell column.
It is derived from a DB2 database and created daily using current stock data to
calculate the stock symbol and append a condition of POS/NEG. If I am able to
get some VBA code to perform what I have described in my previous post, then I
will need to write a similar REXX script to automatically create the new VBA
code with current stock conditions on a daily basis to test the various DAY 3
cell strings.

So, cell L2 contains the string:
[AIG_VNEG]+[GE_VNEG]+[JPM_VNEG]+AXP_NEG+BAC_NEG+JNJ_NEG+T_NEG+TRV_NEG+UTX_NEG+WMT_NEG

This is 10 elements as indicated in I2 (D3_ELE_CNT). Based upon the contents of
the VBA attached script file, the 3 elements in [ ]
brackets were correct and the remaining 7 elements were wrong, so the result
would have been as follows:

7,AXP_NEG+BAC_NEG+JNJ_NEG+T_NEG+TRV_NEG+UTX_NEG+WMT_NEG,30%

      The attached VBA script file contains the individual elements as they
closed on 10/31/2011 in the macro titled 'Sub Color_Active_Yellow()'.
      Presently the macro only contains VPOS/VNEG/PPOS/PNEG variants of the
various stocks, but it will also contain POS/NEG variants in due course.
      If Columns L was individual cells it wold work fine coloring the
background Yellow for correct and ACTIVE stocks. I have an ARRAY in REXX of the
      CLOSE conditions so can write a CASE statement that contains the correct
values to test and write that out to VBA code in a text file.

      What I need, is to be able to read a string of elements and count how
many were wrong based on this array, writing the result to Column N,
      then writing the actual list of wrong elements to column O (Again
separated by '+'). I can then calculate the result against column I2 and write
an
      accuracy percentage in say column P using a formula.

      So in essence I need some kind soul to be able to help me write the VBA
code which I will then write into REXX to produce daily.
      Many thanks again for any assistance.

5) Cross-promotion of, or links to, forums competitive to this forum in
signatures are prohibited.

NOTE : Don't ever post personal or confidential data in a workbook. Forum