David,

I've spent time in the past in an exercise much as you've described.
I actually did work out something one time, but it did not work with
Proportional Width fonts.
Which means that HOOD and ILLS may contain the same number of characters,
but some letters are wider than others.

MM has an additional problem.
According to his attached example, he's not putting the paragraph in a single
sell.
Not only is his paragraph in successive rows, he has not merged the cells
in adjacent columns, so he's allowing the first line to overflow the cell and
into the next 5 or 6 cells.

I posted a suggestion about merging the cells and getting the row height to
adjust.

hopefully, that solves his problem.

Paul
“Do all the good you can,