-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Walbert, Bryan
(Bryan) ** CTR **
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 11:08 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Mail Flow Configuration Question

We have an Exchange enterprise of about 10 000 mailboxes.  We have a
mixture of clients ranging from Exchange clients to Outlook 2000 to
Netscape IMAP clients using SMTP to relay outbound email.  Currently, in
some of our more remote sites we have some of the IMAP users who need a
local relay host, to prevent slowing of the client while sending mail.
We have narrowed it down to 2 solutions.  I would like some external
opinions as to which is the better solution. (more reliable, more
secure, more efficient) Our enterprise is Exchange 5.5 SP 4 running on
Windows 2000 Advanced server (SP1 on the way to SP2)

Option 1.  Install a local IMS and allow relaying of mail traffic.

Option 2.  Use the IIS SMTP service installed on the box to relay all
SMTP traffic to the backbone relay hosts.