The numbers do sound very much interesting. But I think the TCO has more
parameters than how much a box is costing.

To begin with how organization are happy with just a emailing solution.
Might as well use a ASP (like usa.net) which offers POP3 or SMTP mails with
almost 0 investment.(only operational cost)

If they want just a "mailbox host" then why go for IBM At all. Get one of
those free SMTP, POP3 servers and host it on a BIG server box(No software
cost at all) on Linux.

I don't think the author of that document knew anything About collaboration
office Automation etc..,

As I could see the author is an "IBM dude" than a "Linux dude".. If he
argued on "Lotus notes" on IBM he would have come up with much better
arguments at least. (Yes, I still do have a soft corner for Lotus notes,
having seen how programmer friendly that product was..)

I think I could find dozen or more such "researches" that argues MS Exchange
is better than any other solution, Or Lotus Notes is better than any other
solution. But 99% of them would be paid articles from the respective
organizations (Microsoft/IBM)etc,

Come to think Of it.. Is there any place that I could see a "independent"
reviews/Comparisons on various Mail/Collaboration solutions .??

Kuminda Chandimith
Sr. Technical Consultant
Ducont.com FZ-LLC
Tel:  + 971-4-3913000 Ext 237