I'm coming in late on this thread so excuse me if you've answered this.
What are you using to SCAN the folders with?  Are you sure your scan their
Personal Folder?  Sounds like you are scanning the Exchange server
mailboxes, not the Personal folder.  You do realize that they aren't the
same??????  If my assumption is right and you are scan only the Exchange
server mailboxes, then who cares how many folders the users have.  Hell, I'd
love to see more of my users, get their sh*t organized into folders, instead
of having everything heaped into just the inbox.  If you are worried about
mailbox sizes then institute mailbox limits and stick to them.  There are
numerous threads in the archives about mailbox limits......If any of this
confuses you, then by a book by Tony Redmond or Paul Robichaux.  You will
also need to read said book....

Matthew
Exchange Disaster Recovery, Live it, Learn It, Love It, Get yours today!
http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/exchange/technote/edrv3p1.asp

"Besides the technical limitations on the PST (remember the P stands for
Personal, that means you're responsible not the mail admin)..." Jim Schwartz
8-16-01