Thanks Kim,

We created a test lab environment to try out many different scenarios.  One
thing we really couldn't judge was how long forest prep would take because
during some of our tests, the time ranged from 30 minutes to 2 hours for no
apparent reason.  So I was afraid that it could take all weekend on the
production servers.

Also if anyone knows... I am going to create a native mode child domain so
the delegations, distribution lists, etc will come across properly during
the in place upgrade.  Does this sound like a valid method?  We tested out
so many different ways to minimize the impact on the end user and we finally
had to break down and do the following method:

1. Offline backup of current Exchange 5.5 (currently it's a NT4 BDC Cluster)
2. Dump Public Folder permission dump with PFADMIN.
3. Shut down current Exchange 5.5 (fall back if everything fails)
4. Restore database onto a new Win2k (non DC), Exch 5.5 staging server and
bring it up
5. Create Native Mode child domain (so DL's and delegations can have a place
to be stored.  TechNet says that these will be lost if there isn't a native
mode domain available)
6. Do an in place upgrade of 5.5 to Exch 2000 (this is what everyone is
nervous about)
7. Cross our fingers and toes and bring up the server
8. If everything works, we will build a Win2k, Exch 2k cluster server on the
SAN and join it to the current Exchange Site.
9. Migrate users to the new Cluster server and shut down the staging server.
10. Move Public Folders and import the PFADMIN dump of permissions.
11. If things fail during any of these steps, we will just plug the old NT4
Cluster back in and users will get their email access back.

Since the site will remain the same, we won't have to visit the users
desktops, which is a big advantage.  Anyone have any recommendations on this
plan?  Maybe something I'm missing or some steps I can skip?

Thanks a lot for your help and hope everyone is having a good Friday.

Wilson Varghese
NT Systems Manager
KMV, LLC
Office: (415)229-0726