        From: Benjamin Scott
        Sent: Mon 11/12/2001 1:56 PM
        To: Exchange Discussions
        Subject: RE: It's not Microsoft's fault because....

        On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Mike Carlson wrote:
        > For a developer having to write 600 lines of code to make sure
        > everything is set right before launching the form would be an
enormous
        > amount of work compared to editing a key to allow .exe files
to show up.
        > Granted that may be the more secure way of doing things, but
then people
        > may not want to develop for that platform.
        >
        > Microsoft made a lot of money off Windows and Office being
extremely
        > easy to develop for and use. With that there is security
risks.

          I think you make a good point.  What may have been a good
approach in the
        short term (very easy to work with, but insecure) is not so good
in the long
        term (it is still insecure, leading to many upset customers).  I
wonder,
        what happens next?  Microsoft has said they will be moving to
make things
        more secure.  Assuming they follow through, does that mean
people will move
        away to easier-but-less-secure platforms, restarting a cycle?
Or will it
        mean security becomes a fundamental for Windows/Office
programming (which, I
        would argue, it should be)?

          Would people still like Exchange so much, if it was more
secure but less
        convenient?  I know *I* certainly would, but I'm not an Exchange
programmer.
        I wonder, how hard would it be to design a model that is secure
by default,
        but easily opens up access to software with the proper
authorizations?  I
        suspect that would require moving most of the scripting
intelligence into
        the server, where it can be protected better.  Anyone here who
knows more
        about Exchange programming than I (i.e., just about anyone) have
any
        comments on that?

        --
        Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        | The opinions expressed in this message are those of the author
and do not |
        | necessarily represent the views or policy of any other person,
entity or  |
        | organization.  All information is provided without warranty of
any kind.  |