From: Jon Hill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 11:02 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Email Virus Protection

We have MIMESweeper between our firewall and our Exchange server.  It's
great at protecting us from worms e-mailed to the firm.  It works with
third-party AV software (we use Sophos but if I had to choose today I'd
probably go with Trend), plus we've set up rules to quarantine all files
with specific extensions (see the Extensions to Block thread from last
week).

What it can't do is protect us from users with hotmail accounts, etc.  Two
users last week launched Goner from their hotmail and MSN accounts, thereby
infecting the firm.  Because of MIMESweeper nobody else was infected, but
still.

We're considering putting WebSweeper on the same box as MIMESweeper.  I
expect we'll make a decision within the next two or three weeks.

We also use NAV Corporate Edition on the desktop.  Fantastic management
capabilities but Symantec tends to be late to the party with their
definitions.  They had defs for Goner by noon but didn't tell anyone.  I
found out through this list (thank you, Barry).