use Outlook as it's intended - as an exchange client, not imap or pop3. then
you get all the collaborative features of exchange (scheduling, public
folders, custom forms etc etc). without this you're not really justifying
the outlay for exchange.

give the laptop users offline folders and set up OWA for when users go to
other computers. don't bother with roaming profiles, major headache imo.

get a good exchange book and read up - pay particular attention to disaster
recovery.

dan.