OK. Created a new 'contact' folder and copied the contacts across. Created a
new DL and it worked first time. Can also create new contact and contact
from existing ones.

I think the problem may lie somewhere in permissions, as the new folder has
inherited the parent folders permissions, whilst the problematic folder had
been modified several times (although the permissions still reflected those
of the parent folder).

Thanks for the input.

Tim