Its not so much how many users a box can support but how many users you are
willing to have without email when it fails and how long you are wiling to
sit there while restoring the server. 3000 users @2MB is only 60GB. Assuming
you have an LTO tape drive (100GB native + compression at ?:1) then you
could probably get 6000 users on a server and back it up to one tape, which
makes running a full backup every night a lot easier. Our test suggest a
restore time of around 800 to 1000 MB / Min so restore times aren't to long
either.

As for how much CPU and RAM you need it is really a guess as you can sit in
the lab for ages doing LoadSim tests, and still get it wrong in the real
world due to changing patterns of usage with the new features. Our test's
with the latest LoadSim version on a system with dual CPU 700Mhz PIII with
1GB of ram suggested it was the disks for the stores that where limiting the
system when trying to simulate 3000 users, and not the log drive even when
running 4 storage groups Log files onto 1 dedicated mirrored pair (1).

Regards

Stewart Jump

(1) I know its not recommended but it does mean the log pair is on a
different SCSI bus to the Store drives and the performance doesn't seem to
suffer until you run a backup during a LoadSim run (2)
(2) This why you need to do your own tests as the "Rules" can be bent and
still get a decent configuration.