Compaq Computer Corporation

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Mark Rotman
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 1:16 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Outlook Web Access

More comments inline
...<snip>...

>>How about the tangible fixed costs like:

>> OWA CAL versus Outlook CAL
-- Same cost.
Right, its just the cost of Outlook, which includes a CAL so something
like $60 Outlook versus $20 OWA, dependent on order quantities and
licensing programs?

>> Bandwidth of Outlook versus OWA
-- How much does bandwidth cost?
Depends, I guess we need to know the avg utilization of Outlook in kpbs
versus OWA in kpbs. I suppose this will also be dependent on Outlook 97
versus 2000 versus XP.

>> Hardware requirements of Outlook versus OWA (scalability)
-- You might argue that heavy use of OWA would cost more because of
front-end servers. True, but I've heard that people are running 50% more
users on the back-end so the lighter FEPs are less expensive than
enhancing the BEPs

Other factors?

Surely someone has done a hard comparison - maybe I need to look at
iNotes versus OWA and Outlook to get some numbers?