----- Original Message -----
From: "Karen McLaughlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 2:53 PM

> Unfortunately, the subject line does not lie.  I am on a project
> doing an MS Mail 3.5 to Exchange 2000 migration.  I am having
> trouble with the MS Mail Connector and wanted some suggestions on
> what to try next.

I'm glad to know that we were not the last MS Mail 3.5 site on the planet...

> We set up the MS Mail Connector on the E2K server, and defined
> the MS Mail postoffice as being serviced by the MTA.  We have not
> done any dirsync yet but tried to send mail through Outlook by
> sending a one-off msg to the MS Mail type address of a user on
> the destination MS Mail postoffice.  And then we tried sending
> the other direction and in both cases, no workie and no NDR's.
> The queues are empty so I'm left a little baffled...

Which queues, exactly? The MTA will have a queue for the MS Mail Connector.
The MS Mail Connector
will have two queues: one for the MS Mail Interchange service and one for
the PCMTA service. In EX5.5, only one of these queues is visible at a time,
and it depends on whether the PCMTA service is running.

> Does the MTA on the E2K server carry the traffic to and FROM
> the MS Mail PO?  Or does there need to be config changes done on
> the MS Mail side to recognize the Exchange shadow PO?

No matter what, you need to create "external postoffice" definitions: for
the MS Mail postoffice on the Exchange shadow postoffice, and vice versa.
Then, you'll have to add MS Mail postoffice routing definitions to your
Exchange address space.

What moves the messages? That depends on how you want to set it up. The MS
Mail way: set up a box running EXTERNAL.EXE. The Exchange way: define a
PCMTA service and tell it how to connect to the MS Mail postoffice. I'd
recommend the latter, because it's more error-tolerant.

> Any other suggestions I should try?  I'm having trouble finding
> interop articles specific to MS Mail and Exchange 2000, but plenty
> for legacy versions of Exchange.

Assuming that the connector architecture hasn't changed much, I'm happy to
inspect our EX5.5 configuration and let you know the gory details.
We...um...learned a lot in getting ours to run, and I'm happy to share what
I know.