we do need it, we have a group of users that need to submit email to us
and through us back to the internet, its our mobile sales force they are
never in the same place twice and it was "deemed" that having them dial a
800 number to a RAS machine here was too expensive.  So they use local
AT&T isp wherever they are, but it was also "deemed" that the email was
too sensetive to use the AT&T mail server so they had to connect to us.

its hard to explain.  No matter how i tried to lock down the server from
relaying i couldnt allow this limited group of people the ability to email
people on the internet.  Thats why we needed the invisible IMS, that way
these people could log on, get email and send email to either company
personel and/or people on the internet.

its a crappy situation, i'm pushing for a better RAS solution and the
funds increase on our 800 number so we can get these users off local
ISP's.  I'm also toying with VPN solutions.

I really like jim saunders idea of "authenticated relay"