Hi Everyone,

Lately I've been noticing a number of attempts to hack one of our Exchange
Servers. Our network is behind a Pix firewall and I've closed all
unnecessary ports and have it fairly tightly locked down.  However I have
Port 80, 25 and 110 open for Exchange. My main concern is IIS. I am
considering the possibility of disabling IIS and OWA on the Exchange server
to minimize attacks. I have all the latest NT4 security patches (that I know
of) but the hackers are still attempting to do mischief. There are two
things I'd like to know: -

1. Is there a means of making IIS bullet proof with a patch or 3rd party
tool?

2. Is it possible to install the OWA component on a server that is running
IIS but not Exchange? The reason I ask this is because we have a web server
that's running IIS. I thought it may reduce the risk of attack if I remove
IIS from the Exchange server and use our web server for OWA? I know this is
probably a dumb question but I thought I'd ask it anyway. I've checked out
the FAQ but couldn't find anything on this particular scenario. The Exchange
server in question is running Exchange 5.5 and Nt4 (SP6). The web server is
running W2K (SP2).

I'd greatly appreciate feedback re this.

Regards
Tony

Tony McCarthy
Systems Engineer